Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spina Bifida Awareness: Meet Kevin!

Today we get to hear from another adult living with Spina Bifida!! I personally, an so glad that so many adults with Spina Bifida are willing to share with and mentor parents raising children with the came condition! I think it really helps us parents on so many levels.
Please meet Kevin!

Hello!  My name is Kevin Conway, from NJ.  I'm 39 years old with Spina Bifida.  I believe one of the keys to living with Spina Bifida is having the right attitude.  For me, that means staying positive and active.  I want to show people that I am not one to be "pitied." 
I was born at a time when much less was known about Spina Bbifida.  My parents learned a lot from going to meetings of the then-fledgling local chapter of the Spina Bifida Association, and by becoming close to one of the founders, Bobbie Metz, who became a great role model for me growing up, and still inspires me today.  Sadly, the world lost Bobbie in 2004.
Me and Bobbie, 1995
Growing up, I was active in many activities, including a wheelchair sports program, and Boy Scouts.  I am proud to say that I achieved my Eagle Scout badge.  My Eagle project was to plan and host a Holiday party for our Spina Bifida Association chapter.  I went on to finish high school in 1990, attempt business management in college (although I am sad to say I was unsuccessful at this), and to hold a steady job for ten years at Sam's Club.  Now, I am attempting to venture into the field of medical coding for a career.  In addition, I have also advocated for many disability related issues, including passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991, and have been active in the Spina Bifida Association at various times in my life.
Thank you so much Kevin for sharing your story!

0 comments: